We have packed up and hit the road heading to move to …
the other side of Northampton! No worries fashion friends, we haven’t left our beloved Noho, we are just moving out of downtown to our first condo! Robert and I are at that age I guess, where everyone around of us is buying houses and having babies. Robert and I aren’t really interested in all that, just yet. So we decided that it’s about time to at least stop renting and buy a condo.
Having a condo now gives us the chance to spend more time doing what we really love doing, traveling! We want to visit so many places and feel that with a condo we could make this a larger part of our lives! Our new condo will also be giving us a kitchen with enough space to cook, or continue to learn how (More Raynor Recipes coming you way!) and even a community garden next door that I am looking forward to joining so that the recipes are even better with fresh ingredients! We are both so excited for this new adventure in owning our own home, and allowing ourselves to add the things in our lives we love most as a first priority. For now I am excited to share my packing tips & tricks, that I have taken from many movers before me, with all of you who may also be at that age, and are thinking about buying your first home!
- Place packing paper or paper towels between plates before boxing them to cushion them during the move.
- Pack plates vertically so they’re less likely to break. Make sure you wrap them well!
- Pack a first day basket with disposable plates, cups and cutlery so you can eat without digging out your dishes. You’ll be exhausted after the move!
- Use toilet paper tubes to keep wires and cables organized.
- Put plastic wrap on toiletries under the lid to keep them from spilling during the move– trust me, DO THIS!
- Don’t take clothes off their hangers. Move them in bunches in garbage bags still on the hangers.
- Use all your suitcases and bags to save money on boxes. It can really add up!
- Put essential appliances (like your coffee maker) in a laundry basket so you can put them on your counter right away in your new place.
- Label boxes with the contents of the box as well as the room it belongs in
- Color code each box according to the room so you can identify what needs to go where in a glance (This is my FAVORITE part, I love color coding!) Make sure to create a key, then you wont forget which room is marked as which color.
- Invest in storage bins for holiday décor and other items that stay in storage for most of the year. (This is Robert’s favorite part, he loves bin!)
- Remember to mark boxes with breakables as fragile. Whether you’ve hired movers or are doing it yourself, you don’t want someone to be too rough with those boxes.
We are both so excited to own our first home, and allowing ourselves to add the things in our lives we love most as a first priority. We are also looking forward to decorating our new place! Robert and I have so many plans already in the works and I plan to share every detail with all of you, so stay posted fashion friends!